State owned enterprise arivia.kom is responsible for the development and maintenance of a number of major ICT solutions within the Transport Sector. The organisation delivers effective business solutions to clients by aligning the latest developments in the ICT industry to clients’ transport-related business needs. To achieve its goals, it is imperative for its employees to maintain a good understanding of the transport industry.
In August 2005 arivia.kom decided to adapt to the latest trends in innovative business management by connecting its employees on a business level, to role-players within the industry. The role-players include industry business management, regulatory bodies, research institutions, academic institutions, as well as other ICT solution providers. The Transport Forum is one of the initiatives that resulted from this strategic approach.
Taking up the Minister of Transport’s invitation to the industry to participate in the implementation of the National Freight Logistics Strategy (NFLS), studying the Director- General’s Transport Strategy and applying a good understanding of the challenges the South African transport system faces, imperatives for success have been identified as follows:
Effective and focused:
● integration of different modes of transport
● enhancement of the level of expertise in public and private sectors
● transport planning in the country
● implementation and integration of transport planning
● judicious deployment of transport and related infrastructure
● development of transport corridors
● national communication on all levels of transport within
● promotion of effective management of the transport industry
● relationships between regulators and operators
● private investment in transport infrastructure
● integration of transport information and planning systems
● forging of links with the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
The Transport Forum commenced with monthly Special Interest Group (SIG) sessions as part of an internal initiative at arivia.kom. Soon, as word was spread regarding the Transport Forum’s activities, more and more external practitioners requested that their names be added to the mailing list to participate in the monthly sessions.
Credible speakers on transport related themes of national relevance are invited to present their perspective on a specific discipline within the transport industry. Themes explored relate to transport, logistics and
A challenge for arivia.kom is to ensure that relevant decision-makers participate actively in these events. Information on industrial role-players is being gathered through various legitimate methods resulting in a transport industry representative database.
After a year of activities, the Transport Forum has become a highly representative and nationally recognised platform for thought leadership by organisations and individuals who are active in the transport and logistics industry, as well as individuals who have the interests of the transport industry at heart.
Arivia.kom sincerely believes that through this initiative, a significant contribution is being made towards enhancing various aspects of the South African Transport Industry by addressing industry related challenges by promoting:
● two-way communication between the state and stakeholders
● interest in collaboration
● agendas debated objectively
● opportunities for academics, practitioners and thought leaders to meet
● exposure of participants to the latest research and development and training programmes to build local capacity
● opportunities to take informed and well-debated decisions
● the identification of best practices
● well-planned and governed mentorship programmes
● the prioritisation of national transport needs
● an environment conductive to international cooperation
● joint knowledge generation and
● industrial competitiveness.
To ensure effective representation at the Transport Forum’s events, attendance is by invitation and currently, free of charge. The Forum’s administration costs are sponsored by arivia.kom and opportunities for additional sponsorship are in the process of being made available to service providers in the industry to cover costs.
The activities of the Forum are governed by the following values:
● Passion for the industry
● Giving to receive
Other planned activities include:
● Undertaking or funding industry-related research projects
● Publishing papers, contributing articles to magazines and journals
● Hosting learning tours and site visits, and
● Joining or engaging with industry-related learned bodies and professional societies.